What Should I Bring?

Click here for an 8 page Tax Organizer (PDF).

Click here for a nice category chart displaying many of the documents need to file your tax return (PDF).

What should I bring when I am having my taxes prepared?

Some questions to consider:

  • Did your marital status change during the tax year? (e.g. married, divorced, spouse passed away)
  • Were there any changes in dependents during the tax year?
  • Did you, and every person listed on your tax return, have health care coverage for every month during the tax year?

Following is a list of the more common items you should bring if they are applicable:

  • New clients: Copy of Social Security card and dates of birth for all to be included on tax return
  • New clients: Copies of last two years tax returns
  • EVERY YEAR: copy of your driver’s license (or both licenses for a Married Filing Joint return)
  • EVERY YEAR: banking information (copy of check or voided check) to use for refund direct deposit
  • wage statements (Form W-2)
  • pension or retirement income statements (Form 1099-R)
  • Social Security statements (SSA-1099)
  • unemployment income statements (1099-G)
  • interest and/or dividends (1099-INT and 1099-DIV)
  • K-1s from partnerships or S-corporations
  • self-employed business income and expenses (including all 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC forms)
  • estimated tax payments to Federal and State including dates paid
  • information on education expenses – statement of account from school and receipts for books and supplies, as well as Form 1098-T
  • information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds; a csv file from the brokerage account is very helpful
  • information on cryptocurrency transactions
  • lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
  • state refund amount from previous year
  • income and expenses from rentals
  • record of purchase or sale of real estate
  • medical and dental expenses
  • real estate and personal property taxes (vehicle taxes)
  • foreign taxes paid
  • mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
  • cash and non-cash charitable donation receipts
  • unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • job-related educational expenses
  • child care expenses and provider information (name, address, Tax ID or SSN)
  • home purchase/sale information (HUD-1)
  • IRA contributions
  • HSA contributions
  • Affordable Care Act reports
    • Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
    • Form 1095-B, Health Coverage
    • Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
  • any item you received in the mail where the envelope says IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED
  • any other items that you think may be necessary for your taxes